Thursday, October 3, 2013

Learning, learning, learning...

So as I am always learning new things about Costa Rica...my Spanish teacher told me they have license plates with numbers...say for example a license plate has the number 4...well number 4s can not drive their vehicles in or through San Jose on Tuesdays...each number has their day of the week!

Also the Spanish teachers I've had don't give homework on Fridays, hehe! 

The teaching methods here are different, some teachers give you busy work and then leave the classroom for an extended period of time...go figure!

Another story I don't think I shared, (I think it happened last week)...Jalissa and I were going to Wal-Mart, she called a taxi and I didn't have the patience to wait so when I saw one coming I flagged him down. We got in and were on our way. At a red light was another taxi driver, he said did you guys call a taxi, Jalissa said yes. He made the taxi we were in pull over and we had to get into the other one. When we got in the guy was kind of rude. He told us we have to pay 1,000 colones next time (equivalent of $2) we do that. I personally think that's nuts. I wouldn't pay a taxi just because I called him and never showed up. Oh well.

Yesterday at my school I asked the front desk to call a taxi for me since it was pouring out and I'm not sure if he did because the school shuttle bus drive came out of nowhere and asked me to wait for him to go grab his vehicle. So anyway a taxi comes and I wasn't sure if the front desk had called for me or if they called our school shuttle or both! The taxi driver was causing traffic by being in almost the middle of the road and beeping his horn nonstop. He was there for a good 15-20 minutes! They are so vicious and aggressive! Finally some random person from the other building came out and I guess asked the taxi driver to take her somewhere, so finally he got a customer and left!

Anyway on Monday I went to Cartago. It was nothing amazing. The church was nice but nothing I was deeply interested in. I went with a friend and we ended up having a delicious lunch. Unfortunately it poured hard, no national parks were open either. I found out they are closed on Mondays!! So we headed back and I went to the mall with another friend. She got her nose pierced at the mall for $16!!

Tuesday I started my new classes. So far they are going well...then again school is school and if you don't know me well...I really am not fond of school. I like the whole learning aspect but I'm not crazy about the structure.

Anyhow I'm taking advanced Spanish 2, intercultural communications (I switched to this from my land of vertebrates class), digital photography, and theory of Latin dance:) 

Speaking of dance, if I hadn't said already I'm part of the 20th anniversary dance show that's going on next Friday. We were picked in dance class, 5 couples! It's not very organized so it should be interesting.

This week has been very rainy!!! Then again last week was super nice! 

I realized I have no real structure to my writing but that's how I am, always all over the place :)

On that note, nothing else is going on. This weekend I'm hoping to relax. On Sunday I am doing a breast cancer 5k run in the city...we all know I'm not running, walking will do:)

Also thought of the day: "it's funny how sometimes we think we are so great at something only to realize we are not"

Have a marvelous day!:)


No comments:

Post a Comment