I went downstairs for breakfast and told the host, Ronny that I wanted to do the 10:30am tour, he said the girl sitting outside is doing the 8:30 tour if you want to go now (it was 8:20am at the time and I still had to eat breakfast). I ran to my room and put all my stuff together. My shoes were still wet from yesterday. I got downstairs and quickly had breakfast and just as I finished the bus came! There were a few girls from my university in Monteverde this weekend and they were actually on the bus going to do the tour. I talked to the girl staying at my hostel when two guys came on. Turns out the girl from my hostel (Katie) had met the two guys when she visited Manuel Antonio. They were from Germany and very nice!
When we got to the cloud forest I asked if they minded to do the tour together and they said sure! So the four of us went on a three hour adventure! We didn't really see anything but one butterfly that was brown and a tiny brown frog that blended in with the leaves! We walked through mud puddles where our shoes sunk in the mud! We took turns being the leader and taking the first hits of spider webs and branches, etc! I actually fell and then later while walking, I hit my head on a branch! It was quite an adventure but worth every moment!
When we finally got back to the start we waited for the bus. The German guys (David and Max) left to their hostel since they were leaving Monteverde. Katie and I decided to go out for dinner and so we searched for a place to eat. We found a Peruvian restaurant and went to eat there since I wanted to try this drink called pisco sour that one of my best friends raved about after going to Peru (except of course I'm not in Peru). The dinner was delicious and the drinks were good as well. We sat and talked for awhile and she was just a really cool person.
We decided to go on an adventure to find this tree called the strangling ficus. It's a hollow tree you could climb up! It was soooo foggy outside that it was hard to see anything! It took us a very very long time to find it. The map we had was so off!! We walked past the hotel that the tree was suppose to be next to but none of it made sense, so we kept walking (and this was all up the hill!!!). We finally got to a sign called original canopy tours and on the map it was far away from the tree. We decided to walk into the original canopy tour part even though it said private property because I was curious! It was a lot of forest and tons of trails, but I really wanted to find the tree! There was another road next to the original canopy place that I was curious about but it was starting to get dark and we still didn't find the tree!! We headed back down the hill towards the hotel that the tree was supposedly next to. We went inside and asked the lady at the reception where it was. She told us it was a path near the original canopy tour (the one I was curious about!!) She told us once we hit that path it's to the left through a tiny path that leads to the forest and that the tree is not too far from that. She also told us she recommend we go tomorrow because it was getting dark out! Unfortunately I'm leaving tomorrow so Katie and I decided to try to atleast get there (it was still extremely foggy!)! So back up the hill we went! We finally foud the tree but it was too dark and foggy to take pictures or climb up it!!! While I was trying to take pictures this animal pops out of nowhere!!! It was a white dog with beautiful blue eyes, but I was nervous because it came out of nowhere and I wasn't sure if it would be aggressive. So we quickly left the tree and started walking back to the hostel. The dog followed us ALL the way back! He turned out to be friendly and he was a beautiful stray dog. Then Katie and I went for a chocolate hunt and then at last our day ended! We were pretty much walking from 9am to 7pm!!
Overall this weekend had been my best so far! I took a risk traveling alone and along the way I met really nice people, got plenty of exercise, and really enjoyed myself. I'm happy with the choices I have made and hopefully I will have new memories that will last a lifetime:) Tomorrow it's back to the reality of school! I still have about 8 weeks left in Costa Rica and I hope to make all of them memorable:)
No comments:
Post a Comment