This week has been so weird without having to go to Spanish class anymore! I can wake up a little later but I miss my breakfast interaction!
The only exciting thing was that when Mac and I were walking home from the bank we hear this cop car and all we see from around the corner is a tow car looking thing coming and went right in front of a car almost hitting it, then another car screeching behind those two. It was undercover cops, they trapped the car in the middle and got out of their cars quickly and pulled out guns! I have no idea what happened after that, it seemed to linger and no one was getting arrested. This Tican guy turned to me and said, "see it doesn't only happen in the states". It was interesting to see and it happened so quickly while we were in mid convo.
The rest of the week went by quickly. For Halloween I went to class and we finished watching Dirty Dancing Havana nights. After that I just went home while everyone went out to celebrate/party.
As of right now I am heading to Nicaragua with Maisie. We are on the bus and its a nice bus; it even has a bathroom!! The seats are comfortable, it is air conditioned, and there's even a TV (playing a crappy movie, but hey no complaints!!) When we went to buy the tickets on Wednesday we forgot our passports so had to call people to get out passport numbers for us!! I am very excited we are going! The hostel I chose seems like it will be decent (fingers crossed!) It has a pool so I am definitely excited about that!!:) the ride will be around 8 hours! So here I go crossing another boarder once again!!!:):):):)
I'm still on the bus and I just crossed the boarder of Costa Rica and now we are getting to the place where we get stamped for Nicaragua, except this bus took everyone's passports to get stamped, which I find sketchy. I got ripped off $75. We were getting our first stamps and I asked the lady where we can change Costa Rican colones to Nicaraguan Cordobas, she said you can change it outside. There were men everywhere in your face asking you to change your money, it looked very sketchy and I told them to back away so that they wouldn't take anything out of my bag. Well there's a lady on the bus that is leading a group of Americans on the bus, and she walked by and said its safe to change the money and that it's better off changing it there because in Nicaragua the exchange people will rip you off. So 60,000 colones is the equivalent of $120. The cordobas the guy gave me were equivalent to around $44. He kept showing me on the calculator but obviously he knew what he was doing to rip me off. I didn't even have the time to count and he kind of ran off. I asked someone how much the cordobas were worth and that's how I found out I was ripped off. Oh well, nothing I can do. It really sucks and I wouldn't have done it if the lady told me it was ok; another reason you shouldn't trust strangers even if they are group leaders; but I can't and shouldn't blame anyone. Thankfully I didn't change all of my money and I hope the robber is happy; his life will never be as blessed as mine anyway.
I'm back on the bus, my passport is stamped and safe, approximately 2 more hours until we get to Granada. Maisie and I are starving!! Hopefully tomorrow will be a great day! We are planning to go to the Isletas which are islands broken off from a volcanic eruption!
Finally we arrived to our hostel only to find out the hostel never got our reservation. The guy gave us a room with two beds and put in two fans and we have to share a bathroom. I still haven't paid him because his is not what I paid for. It is also very very hot and sticky here :-/ night 1 did not turn out well but we are staying positive for tomorrow!!! We also went to find a place to eat dinner since we hadn't eaten for so many hours. All that was around were bars with gross food, so we ate whatever just to have something in our system.
Well time for bed!! Goodnight!'
No comments:
Post a Comment