We booked the island tours for 3pm and since it was still early we decided to hang out in the hostel pool. We had a free traditional beer (Toña) courtesy of the hostel that ripped us off too (oh Nicaragua!). The beer was actually pretty good, or I was just really hot and thirsty lol!!!! :)
The island tours were pretty neat, we were picked up from our hostel and taken to the place. The islands looked beautiful and many were owned by wealthy Nicaraguans or North Americans. One island has four monkeys on it. A scientist or vet brought them there, I don't really know the exact history but they are stuck there since they can't swim and people feed them crap everyday like cookies, etc. They were very cool to see though and I could have stayed there all day! We went to this other island with a cool pool and restaurant (basically the owners of the tours), we didn't have our bathing suits so we didn't swim. We just had a non alcoholic beverage and hung around for a bit.
After the tours we went back to the center and were looking for this place to eat called "nica buffet", we never found it so we settled on this place in an artisan market, it was ok. Then we took a taxi back to the hostel!
Official Day 2
Today was our last full day in Granada, but before that I wanted to mention how we had booked a double bedded room with a private bathroom and the manager told us the reservation never made it to the hostel. He said the room was taken and that we could transfer to it tomorrow (this was Friday). So we went to a room with just literally two beds in it and one fan. He brought us another fan and a table. He also wouldn't lower the price of the room if we decided to stay in the room he gave us with no private bathroom. So the next day he showed us the other room and it literally has a bed, a toilet, and a sink all next to each other. I told him this was not the room I booked and he insisted it was and also insisted that the room we were in now was better. Going back to the reservation it said double bed therefore that definitely wasn't the room but whatever, the guy definitely was weird.
Today we went to this place called laguna de apoyo, it's a volcanic crater that you could swim in. It really wasn't as amazing as everyone made it sound but it was cool and the water was nice and warm. We spent some time there then went back to the city and walked around the center some more. We also spent some time in the pool at the hostel and that was pretty much our day! Some drunk guy asked Maisie to marry him and a little boy touched Maisie and told her he loved her. The men's catcalls here are wayyy worse than Costa Rica and very degrading.
Also, the house here are different. A lot of people left their doors open (with the front gates locked) and you could see right in there homes. Their cars were parked inside the house but kind of gated in (hard to explain). They also had like gardens (outside area) in the middle of their homes. It looked like a backyard in the middle of their house and then just the kitchen and everything else around it.
** I forgot to add our first night while looking for food we think some guy on a motorcycle pointed a gun at us and said pow pow then drove off. The bar we went to eat (because there were only bars to eat at) everyone was staring at us. They were doing karaoke there too. My food experience was not good in Nicaragua (I wish I could have had some good authentic food).
While I was shopping a French guy was trying to ask a question as he kept speaking to me in French and I obviously didn't understand a word but he kept on insisting. I think he finally got frustrated and moved on. Sorry but I don't think there's any people who speak French in Nicaragua (for the most part).
Also the taxis would stop and allow more people in until they were full. In Costa Rica if someone is in a cab them the cab will not stop for anyone else. The taxis in Nicaragua don't have meters like in Costa Rica.
Our bus ride back was filled with people trying to sell food and some random guy who stood up to preach the bible. The bible preacher got yelled at by the bus driver and the other people who work on the bus. I have no idea what they were saying because they were too far up. Then this guy got yelled at for having his feet up on someones chair. The bus guy told him he had no respect! Too funny! Then when we got off at the boarder to get out passports stamped he was outside preaching the bible to all the street vendors and he even had them in a circle and was blessing them. Quite a show!
The trip in itself was a different experience. We had a good time overall.



No comments:
Post a Comment